content top

Our History

holytrinitystgeorge Located on one of the loveliest sites in the village of St. George, stands a modest white church.  It stands as a testament to those people in the village who wished to worship according to the Anglican rite.

After three unsuccessful attempts had been made to found an Anglican Church in the village without success, finally in 1954 a group led by Canon Appleyard of Grace Church, Brantford was successful. In September of that year Archdeacon Mills and the Rev. Grant Darling met with twelve people in the recreation room in the home of Mrs. Art Leppard on High Street. They agreed to form a new church.  At the next meeting a name was chosen. Wishing to avoid a saint’s name, which might sound confusing when linked with St. George, they chose the name Holy Trinity. Rev. Grant Darling was to include responsibilities for the new parish with his responsibilities for the parishes of St. Mark’s, Fairview and St. David’s, Cainsville. Until a church could be built, services and other church functions were held in a rented classroom in the public school. During the first few months a choir was formed, a Sunday School was organized and a Ladies’ Guild was begun. By November of that year sufficient money had been raised to purchase property on the brow of the hill overlooking the village. A year later the Right Rev. G. N. Luxton, Bishop of Huron laid the cornerstone.

fallchurchBy November of that year sufficient money had been raised to purchase property on the brow of the hill overlooking the village.  A year later the Right Rev. G. N. Luxton, Bishop of Huron laid the cornerstone. Work on the church continued throughout the winter months with many of the parishioners, such as William Thompson, bringing their individual skills and crafts to the task of completing the church. The stained glass windows were acquired. Mr. Tom Farrow donated the three lovely tulip windows and the leaded glass windows came from the Burke Home, the former residence of Dr. Addison. The first service in the complete church was held on June 10, 1956 and the church was dedicated on October 12, 1956.

During the following dozen years the church continued to grow and develop under the leadership of various clergy.  Membership had grown from the dozen members in 1954 to 48 families in 1968. The mortgage was paid and the parish became free of debt. On January 12, 1968 a service of consecration was held.

During the mid-1960’s the congregation added to the property owned by the church and in 1966 they purchased a house on Main Street to serve as a Rectory. The congregation also began to urge the diocese to establish Holy Trinity as a single point parish. The Bishop had some reservations about the parish’s ability to support a resident minister at that time.  A compromise was reached and from 1968 until 1983 the parish was under the spiritual guidance of a priest-in-charge.  The Bishop appointed a semi-retired priest to the parish who lived in the rectory and ministered to the spiritual needs of the congregation but did not carry the full work-load of a rector.

Five priests were to serve in this capacity bringing the benefit of their years of wisdom and experience and guiding the parish through the growth and spiritual challenges of the 1970s and 1980s – The Reverend Wilfred Wright, Reverend Reginald Lane, Reverend Hadley Perkins, Reverend Canon Clifford Tomkins, and the Reverend Canon John Munro. fallgarden

The period between 1983 and 1991 became a significant one for the parish. The congregation once again set for itself the goal of becoming a single point parish. In 1983 the decision was made to sell the old rectory and to build a new one on the church property. In a shared arrangement with the Parish of St. Luke’s Cambridge, Paul Wheeler became rector of Holy Trinity and St. Luke’s, but was to be resident in this parish. This association with St. Luke’s lasted for three years.

In 1987 Reverend Paul Wheeler moved to the Parish of St. Luke’s as a full time rector.  Once again the parish of Holy Trinity entered into negotiations with the Bishop concerning a single point parish status. This time an arrangement was entered into with the Parish of St. James’, Paris.  It was not to be a two point parish, but each church would keep its own entity.  There would be an assisted Curacy with St. James.  The curate would live in the rectory in St. George and Holy Trinity would assume 60% of the cost of the curacy. The arrangement would last for three years with Holy Trinity assuming a greater share of the cost over the following two years with the intent that they would become fully self-supporting in 1990. In May of 1987 the Rev. Ruth Mahady moved into the rectory. Becoming self-supporting was achieved and the Parish had finally realized its long-held goal of being a single point parish.

2009churchgdn1In 1991 Rev. Mahady left the parish and the Rev. Brian Minaker and his family moved into the rectory.  A slow and steady growth of the parish continued during this time. In 1995 Founder’s Hall was added as a meeting space and provided room for a much-needed church office. Reverend Susan McCullough came to the parish in 1998.  In 2001 a meditative garden was built on the church property to the west of the church. It has become a place of quiet spiritual retreat.  In 2004 the Reverend Margaret Shortell replaced Rev. Susan McCullouch.  As of September 2016, Reverend Sharla Malliff  is the incumbent priest at Holy Trinity.

During the first decade of the new century the parish has continued its spiritual growth and development. The thrust of its outreach has undergone a change with a response to the local needs of the food banks, meal programs and homeless accommodation.  The people continue to strive to meet the challenge of their single point status and to be constant in witness to their faith and love of God.  This deep sense of faith and abiding love of God is their shared heritage with those twelve people who gathered together in 1954 to lay the foundations of the parish.